Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 17 February 2015

Raking the Leaves of Sun News Network




     I knew Sun News Network was in trouble and was in dire need of a buyer. It was suggested that former City TV  and now currently Vision owner Moses Znaimer was interested in buying SNN. This did not sit well with some of my fellow conservatives who thought he would model SNN into his own image which eventually would compromise their core mission and values. Actually, there was no suitable buyer and on the night of February 12th, I was given the shocking but not surprising news about Sun News Network. The next morning, I turned to the station and it was immediately off the air with a sign noting it's closure. 

     Since it's inception in 2011, I really enjoyed Sun News Network. I really could not care what the critics have to say. It just seems that they think the whole world must listen at their spoken "divinely  inspired" words (of course, I jest) and their word is law and cannot be refuted. So much for them respecting freedom of speech---as long it was exactly like their own. Sun News Network was refreshing, gave things another point of view and no, it was not Fox News of the North. Unlike Fox, I thought Sun News Network respected the life of the mind and was not anti-intellectual as Fox seems to be. One of their correspondents is a man called John Robson who had a PhD in history and is doing an independent project on the history of Britain's Magna Carta. I don't how some on the left of center could still honestly label Sun News anti-intellectual? Frankly, it is more an emotional assessment as opposed to a rational one.   Sun News represented what was the Blue Shift,  a growing number of Canadians who thought there was more to Canada than the late Pierre Trudeau's vision and desires of the country. This Blue Shift believed there was more to Canada's military than "peacekeeping", deficits and debt are important and are tired of the romantic but silly myth that deficits are not important and will take care of itself. The Blue Shift believed that it was high time to reevaluate Canada's concept of a Mosaic and wanted to question the Liberal multicultural dogma that Canada had "no culture of it's own"---while it is obvious that the province of Quebec has an identity and culture of their own (something that I respect actually). The Sun News Network articulated, reflected and respected the opinions of The Blue Shift.

     I could remember on social media dealing with some who were left of center who fierce critics of Sun News. I, for one, put a post on my site, a Sun News meme comparing then Liberal leadership candidates Marc Garneau and  Justin Trudeau (who eventually became leader) of who had the better experience of the job for leader of the party. I still believe that Garneau had the most experience but one wanted to make this assertion, that I was being "intentionally provocative" on my post. Again what is being "intentionally provocative" listing "facts" and  "evidence"  in comparing and contrasting  two men's experience? Also another thing I get is "to be balanced." Frankly, to me that is one persons code word of just telling me and others just "submit" to what the mainstream media has to say and don't question it. Sun News Network did this and it got under people's skin, of course. Another one from a relative told me that SNN was "neo-conservative propaganda". I don't think the  person cared to watch a single solitary show on SNN  and just wanted argue a point. The same person also had to express oneself about Sun News Network's demise of declaring, "Good Riddance!" Yeah, so much of being tolerant. The asymmetrical, selective and sometimes hypocritical worldview of the left of center sometimes knows absolutely no bounds. 

    To add insult to injury, when I gave my tribute to SNN on my social media site, one hard-line leftist had to ask this "appropriate" question, "...[A]re you on crack? the CBC has been neutered by the Cons, CTV has at least lately found some independence but was the network of the Cons trying to discredit Liberals and they provided numerous Cons Senators, Global isn't much better and every major newspaper chain except The Star is all Con all the time. There is no major chain that truly provides Canada with a progressive voice. Almost all traditional news sources have co-opted by the right. The Cons lie, there is no left wing media left in this Country except on line. 

    I can only reply to that one man's diatribe, "Whatever." He simply forfeited his right to be taken seriously by me. Sadly, others will sympathize with him without any logical thoughtful process. This is what you can be up against and sometimes it is very trying.

    I am glad for the friendships I made on social media from people who worked for and who were affiliated with Sun News News network in any way. They are very good people and  I am proud of them for their work and commitment and I hope all will keep in touch. Also I'm glad to hear that some of the Sun News Network alumni are keeping calm and marching on. Brian Lilley is having some daily podcasts. Ezra Lavant is starting the project called The Rebel. Michael Coren will appear on Hamilton, Ontario's CHCH and has two more writing gigs plus his remaining job with the Toronto Sun. A Sun News Network former intern has her own blog aptly called "Right For A Reason". There is another project coming called "The True North Report". I actually have these projects listed and linked to the right side of my blog called , Reviving The Phoenix From The Ashes of Sun News Network ( I have also linked Mr.Robson's project under it too). Be sure to check them out and get involved.


     What do I wish to see in the future? I wish to see more moderate and conservative news outlets, of course. I can only pray that some years down the road that these outlets will eventually become greater that Sun News Network ever was. In so doing that would be the ultimate tribute and proper honour  to the network that dared to give another point of view.

   I will give you little taste of projects to come from the ashes of SNN. First, here's a clip from Ezra's project The Rebel and second is Brian Lilley's podcast by clicking here . Enjoy.













No comments:

Post a Comment